Accessible places search

Wish you add an accessible place?

Calendar

20/06

Un año más, desde nuestra Asociación, ponemos en marcha el Programa HidroSport...

Typical places and monuments

San Marcos Castle.

Castillo de San Marcos

It's one of the most representative buildings of the city. Their towers and battlements, standing out on the portuense sky, constitute a silhouette unmistakable and probably one of the oldest images of the architectonic set of the Port. In his origin, around century X, one was one old mosque, the most important building of the Muslim village of al-Qanatif. As much the wall of quibla like mihrab, is even conserved in the modern construction. To this first time would also correspond one old inscription in one of the primitive accesses to the building. The second stage of the building corresponds with its transformation in Christian sanctuary, produced in the middle of tie century XIII and to the Castilian conquest of the zone by Alfonso X between years 1257 and 1260. It was used as church until century XIX and later would be readapted for houses, until in the middle of the present century remodel was undertaken last the great remodeling, in which the building adopted its present image.

El vaporcito navegando por la bahía de Cádiz

the steamer or "El Vaporcito del Puerto".

The Vaporcito of the Port is a motor-ship that unites Cadiz with the Port of Santa Maria. The sea communications in the Bay of Cadiz data of immemorial time and, with the passage of the years, institutionalized the creation of stable services. Between the cities mentioned or at the time of the steamers, first with the “Cadiz”, that exploded in 1929 in the portuense wharf of the Galeras Real, being replaced by Adriano I, motor-ship in good condition until 1955, alternating with the Adriano II that was used until 1982. Present Adriano III dates from 1955 and was ordered to the shipyards of San Adrián in Vigo; it realises the passage in about 45 minutes. The maintenance of the well-known popularly as the vaporcito is today still effective, but working with explosion motors. Declared by the Meeting of Andalusia “Or of Cultural Interest” in 1999, in him films were rolled as the Lola goes away to the ports, the Fight with yearling bulls or Street 54. Its image is the tourist logo of the Port of Santa Maria. It constitutes for the traveller an opportunity to know the bay Cadiz from the sea.

Parque Calderón

Calderón Park.

The old Orchard of Count O'Reilly is the oldest stroll of the city. It was constructed on the old chapel of the Galeras. One was made up of a central stroll with gardens to both sides and two sources. In 1870 one had been high and mighty from the place of the Blacksmith shop to the wharf of the Steam having suppressed the gardens and surrounding it by an iron iron door. In 1895 it was extended taking terrain to the river and forming the present park. It is placed between the same right margin of the river and the well-known “shore of the seafood”

Escudo Heráldico en la fachada de la Casa de las Cadenas

House-palace of the historical center.

Product of the commercial activity with Spanish America or Indian in centuries XVII and XVIII, we were in Cadiz, the Port of Santa Maria and Sanlúcar de Barrameda with a type of domestic house, adapted to the needs but as well mirror of the prosperity and aesthetic tastes of its inhabitants, rich retailers, habitually shippers to Indians. The architecture of the House-Palace follows a same tonic although all competed in the decoration of interiors and sumptuous facades: courtyard porticated on marble columns, with a source in center, tiles, stairs with precious wood handrail of Indians that gave to access to a second floor, where were the rooms and a third party, the tower watch, that had as an aim the one to serve from viewpoint the river, to observe the arrival of the boats, the house extended with an inner courtyard and a cellar or warehouse in which the products kept appointed the Indians. The ceiling was plaster made flat. The great number of these House-Palace that existed in the city served to him so that this adopted the nickname of “City of the one hundred palaces”.

Typical tower watch
Facade of Reynoso House-palace

The streets of the Port are not a good place to confuse the glance a single minute. To each step there is a small palace reconverted blocks of floors, heraldic shields finishing off the facades or multitudes of houses of shippers to Indians who culminate in towers watches. At the moment and between that they conserve better state can be emphasized:

  • Vizarrón o de "Las cadenas" Palace.
  • Aranibar Palace.
  • Santa Cruz o Valdivieso Palace.
  • Villareal y Purullena Palace.
  • Roque Aguado house.
  • Imblusqueta Palace.
  • Reynoso Palace.

Mayor Prioral Church

Mayor Prioral Church.

"According to it picks up the traditional historiography, already in century XIII is stated the existence of a temple, where today the Greater Church was located. Nevertheless, the existing documentation takes to us until century XV, moment at which a church under the invocation of the Virgin of the Miracles is constructed, employer of the city, sponsored by Duke de Medinaceli. The tracista architect of the building was Alonso Rodriguez, Teacher architect of the Cathedral of Seville, at least from 1498. As the main buildings of the zone and the own cathedral of Seville, the church is constructed with arenaceous stone coming from the quarries of the Mountain range of San Cristóbal, whom many portuenses works were supplied. The plant designed by Alonso was of three ships, with cruise slightly accused and pentagonal apse. To both sides they went abriendo to chapels based on foundations and chaplaincies of portuenses noble.

Inside the Mayor Prioral Church

Risen to the doors of the well-known like “portuense high district”, it accumulates in its construction a succession of styles, from the gothic one to the neoclassic one, consequence of the different stages by which it has crossed in his expanded constructive process that concluded in century XVIII. With respect to the interior of the temple it agrees to mention some chapels built by the noble of the city. The gothic one of Santa Rita, the one of the Benavides, the century XVI or the one of the Brotherhood of the Solitude with the sculpture that Gaspar Yearling calf did for Isabel de Valois. Of great importance it is also the altarpiece in silver of the chapel of the Shrine, of Mexican origin, donated in 1680 by the captain and mayor of the city of San Luis of Potosí, Juan Camacho Jaina, natural of the Port.

Run of bulls in the Royal Bullring

The Royal Bullring

The bulls and all the universe surrounds that it have always had a fort root in the city. The portuense bullfighting enclosure for bullfighting is of century XIX of eclectic style, finished being constructed in 1880. It was constructed by a company, integrated by a group of illustrious patricios to those who it presided over D. Takings Osborne Böhl de Faber, descendant of the family of the illustrious Fernán writer Horseman. The project was work of Mariano Carderera and Brown Manuel. It has form of regular polygon of 60 sides, it consists of three floors. The enclosure for bullfighting presents/displays a diameter of 99 meters and 60 of sand. Its capacity is calculated for 12,000 spectators being because one of greatest of Spain after Madrid and Valencia. The adornment of the facade is friso of tiles with the attributes of I goad and the arms of the city. In the corridor of the fore door, the Rooster shines a mosaic with the following inscription of a given phrase to Joselito “El Gallo”, "who has not seen bulls in el Puerto, does not know what is a bulls run good-day".The summery season enjoys great success and acceptance, is the thousand portuenses fans and of near localities that go to the centennial Real Place to enjoy bullfighting spectacles.